In this lesson, we’re going to discuss how to express cause and effect and connective words that we need for this,
Also to know the ways in which you can link causes and effects.
A cause is the event that happens first, is something that makes something else happen (the reason)
An effect is what happens as a result of the cause (the result)
There is what is called cause and effect relationship → When there is a cause, there is also an effect, and when there is an effect, there is also a cause
- To determine the cause , you must ask the question
“Why did it happen?”
- To determine the effect, you must ask the question
- Nora stayed home because she was feeling sick.
- Nora stayed home as she was feeling sick.
- Nora stayed home since she was sick.
We can choose one of these words to express the same thing and nothing change in the meaning of the sentence
- Nora was feeling as a result, she stayed home
- Nora was feeling sick. therefore, she stayed home
- Nora was feeling sick, so she stayed home
Other signals to express cause and effect
- Due to
- This why
- For this reason
- As a consequence
- Because of this
- Due to the bad weather, they did not go for picnic
- I studied very well last night, as a consequence I got a perfect score in our test
- There was a lot of traffic. thus, we were late
Pour continuer cette fiche de cours, Inscris-toi gratuitement sur Kezakoo
Version gratuite de Kezakoo
- Fiches de cours illimitées
- Une vidéo gratuite par leçon
- 2 exercices gratuits par leçon
- Un test gratuit par leçon