How to express lack of understanding
Sometimes we talk with someone but we don’t understand him/her and we need to continue the conversation. In this brief lesson, you will learn how to convey your lack of understanding and request more clarification.
When you fail to understand what has been said to you you can use these expressions
- I beg your pardon?
- I beg your pardon, but I don't quite understand.
- I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.
- I'm not quite sure I follow you.
- I don't quite see what you mean.
- I'm not sure I got your point.
- Sorry, I didn't quite hear what you said.
- Sorry, I didn't get your point.
- I don't quite see what you're getting at.
- How you ask for clarification
When you don't understand what someone has said, you can as for clarification using the following expressions
- What do you mean by…?
- Do you mean…?
- Could you say that again, please?
- Could you repeat please?
- Could you clarify that, please?
- Would you elaborate on that , please?
- Could you be more explicit?
- Could you explain what you mean by…?
- Could you give us an example?
- I wonder if you could say that in a different way.
- Could you put it differently, please?
- Could you be more specific, please?
Clarifying one's point or idea
To clarify your idea you can use the following expressions
- Let me explain that…
- Let me explain that in more detail…
- Let me put it in another way…
- Sorry let me explain…
- In other words…
- To say this differently…
- To put it differently…
Pour continuer cette fiche de cours, Inscris-toi gratuitement sur Kezakoo
Version gratuite de Kezakoo
- Fiches de cours illimitées
- Une vidéo gratuite par leçon
- 2 exercices gratuits par leçon
- Un test gratuit par leçon